Saturday, October 21, 2006

The Dilemma of Desi Dating

Taz from Sepia Mutiny leaves behind her 'lets analyze this' ways and writes two wicked posts on the dilemmas of desi dating (here and here):

As an ABCD youth one often had to deal with the projection by your peers that the only people you were expected to date is that one other desi in the school, even though you had nothing in common with them. Forget the fact that you weren’t allowed to date; if you had been, there was no one there for you to date, in the often confusing bi-cultural high school years. For me, this reminds me of senior
prom
. And prom reminds me of how my mother wouldn’t let me go to prom unless I went with my gay guy friend because only then would she know nothing would happen to me on prom night. How’s that for bi-cultural confusion?

Much like the girls on Sex and the City would get together to dish, my girls and I will get together and dish about the dilemmas of Dating while Desi. In these talks, we girls will touch on questions such as, "Do you date desi only or non-desis or anyone but white boys? Do your parents sneak around behind your back with biodata and pictures? Do your parents give out your numbers to guys that call and don't leave messages - from obscure area codes? Do your parents even know that you date? Where do you find desi guys that haven't gone back to South Asia to get their bride already?" These questions (and more) are indicative to the plight of the single, 25 yr.+, independent-thinking desi girl.
And the wickedness continues in the comment section with the very auspicious first one:
Quit trying to be so profound!
Anna, you have competition now at the Sepia Mutiny stakes!

Wicked Meter Rating: 8/10 (2 points for the comment sections).

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

1 Wicked Comments:

Traveliia - Plan your next trip said...

Good one...

Visit Lets-Meetup.com ... Dating for single professionals...

www.Lets-Meetup.com