Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Morality of Eating Beef & Raping Cows

According to a Mid-Day report, the Guna police has booked three people under Section 377 (unnatural offences) of the Indian Penal Code, after arresting them for having sexual intercourse with a cow. Cow enthusiast and eminent blogger Amit says that raping a cow is only as immoral as eating beef -

Of course, this case is somewhat complicated, because the cow cannot be said to have consented, or even to be capable of consent. As far as I am concerned, the only crime in this case is a property-rights violation, assuming that the cow did not belong to one of the three men in question. Even then, would you sue a guy who rubbed himself up against your car?

For cow lovers appalled at my inability to defend the rights of the cow in question, I can just shrug and look down in embarrassment. I'm a lapsed vegetarian, who believed that causing pain to animals was wrong. But I eat meat now, and I can come with 100,000 pathetic rationalisations for it. If the cow in this story was to come before me and look my way with accusing eyes, I'd simply say, "I'm sorry, but it wasn't me who did that to you, and it isn't you I'll be having for dinner tonight."
Et tu, Amit?

Wicked Meter Rating: 7/10.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

0 Wicked Comments: